Vision and value proposition:
Data science-driven digital ventures continue to transform the business landscape in the Age of AI; HBAP VC’s platform will connect its extensive network of operating partners and utilize an innovative data analytics crowd-sourced diligence and investment approval process to bring smart capital to founders along with growth and functional operating expertise, attracting HNW and pension funds and driving outsized returns to its end investors.
Data science-driven digital ventures are the engine of the AI economy and need smart funding and operational expertise to scale. Traditional VC firms, rooted in excel spreadsheets and an arcane investment committee approach, and focused on transactions rather than full life cycle growth support, are not fully aligned with this new business paradigm and as a result, digital ventures are being improperly capitalized and suboptimally going to market and growing. Further, HNW and pension funds rely on a small number of venture capital firms to source these opportunities, and many need greater access to these types of investments, in an advantaged way.
Target market and opportunity:
The VC market is $24B and continues to grow YoY. In the past few years, growth has been focused on areas of HBAP’s expertise. HBAP VC will deliver by leveraging its greatest asset, its people. HBAP VC addressable market is between $100m-$500m growing at 25% CAGR.
A data-driven approach to venture capital investments based on a platform that leverages the breadth and depth of the HBAP network to crowdsource the various investment processes to follows a consistent, repeatable approach to startup investing helping thrust transformative companies that disrupts industries while providing a space for HBAP participants and alumni to invest, learn, practice, and earn returns.
- Founders: HBAPer who contributes $10,000+
- General Partners: all HBAPers will be allocated a piece of the GP
- Operational Partners: HBAPers who wish to help specific investments grow and who are selected to be the lead partner in venture-specific assignments will earn carry in that specific venture. The OP would be responsible for sponsoring the venture through the various processes.
- Operations Team: Develops and maintains the platform.
People Currently Involved:
- Rick Spear
- Nicholas Chacon
- Todd Brous
- Eric Villacanmpa
- Suzanne Grant
- Other Harvard VC funds (also potential partners) and other VC funds (both partners as well as exit vehicles)
- Incubators and accelerators
- HNW individuals and pension funds (also clients)