-Clearly mentioned the benefits of additive manufacturing from both perspectives; one of consumer and another of Luxottica.
-Clearly addressed the potential of reduction of the waste by additive manufacturing.
-If this article could provide with specific numbers (e.g. the weight of plastic frames in overall raw material cost, the current price of additive manufacturing machine, estimated operating expense), the reader could understand the potential of economic benefit of additive manufacturing and how far the technology has to be improved from now on in order to make this technology feasible.
-Would be interesting to mention the potential tension that the frame fully designed by consumers could lower the meaning of Brands. Consumers may not find the self-esteem in brand anymore after having their own frame designed themselves, so there is certain risk that Luxottica goes after the strategy of fully customized frame. Given that, what path Luxottica go through considering its competitive advantages are brands it has. This point of view could make the article even richer.
– Not only explain the technical aspect of additive manufacturing, but also addressed the business feasibility of the technology. It was great to know that some companies have success commercially by using the technology. This article implied that one of the key factors of commercial success of additive manufacturing application is “high-added value and moderate volume” product.
– Suggested practical solutions such as capacity allocation between Power & Gas and Wind Power to make the technology more profitable.
– Yet sample number is small, but I learned the reliability of additive manufacturing technology, considering the difficulty and high-safety regulation of the products that Siemens produces.
– Clearly explained the competitive advantages that Tesla holds today in terms of hardware and software (data).
– Address the key challenges that Tesla faces today.
– If there are some quantified data about how often occur miss-driving or accident, it might be useful for readers to understand the current situation and how far Tesla needs to go to offer people the cars with safety. The possible causes of the recent fatal accident would also help readers for the same reason.
Response to the questions:
– I believe that in the developmental phase, the drivers should be responsible for the accidents because the current technology is not enough to guarantee the safe autonomous driving yet. The driver should understand the capacity and risk that current autonomous driving technology holds and be totally responsible not to hurt anyone in the society. The drivers’ contribution for development of autonomous driving is big, but the value of technology development should never go over people’s safety and lives.
– Explored and clearly articulated unique/non-conventional application of additive manufacturing.
– If the article addresses clearly what makes it difficult to develop soft robotics (i.e. which is the bottleneck for soft robotics between creation of soft-bodied object and control on highly sensitive sensors) and why, the readers can understand better the current situation and how far ABB is to achieve its goal, making this article more insightful.
Response to the questions:
– I believe that soft robot technology will face difficulty to scale. Thinking about the industry where the soft robotics can have a competitive advantage operationally, I could only come up with medical/healthcare industry. But we learned that patients would not build trust with robots easily from IBM case and I believe the psychological barrier would be higher in the context where robots touch and take care of patients physically. Given that, I would recommend that they focus its effort of soft robotics on highly specialized niche application at this moment.
– It might be good idea to just focus on soft-bodied additive manufacturing and with that technology ABB replaces customized soft-bodied objects. I believe it is easier to scale.
-Clearly explained how open innovation is contributing to the development of LOL’s ecosystem. It was interesting to know that there is positive spiral between the Riot and the media by increasing the population through open innovation.
-Unique point of view to diagnose the company’s possible problem.
Response to the question
-I think the Riot still can focus only on LOL because the game has the essence of the sports. By watching the LOL game, I felt that LOL is similar to sports, in that every year has a championship and it is really difficult to continue winning because there is no one formula to win every game in LOL. One small mistake by the defending champions led them to lose. They get excited or become sad when champion loses. There are star players and many players become fan and cheer for their favorite players. These characteristics are similar to sports. As sports such as NBA, NFL are succeeding with effective marketing, the Riot should focus on marketing to continue its success with LOL.
-I would argue that the company can use open innovation to collect the users’ opinions but should not let them decide what updates should be made because the more complicated the game become, the less new entry. I believe with the ecosystem the Riot has created, the game does not need the drastic changes. One the other hand, the wrong update could lead to its failure, so I would like to reduce the risk, keeping the decision making power inside the company.